When you are looking for decking ideas, you are careful and thoughtful. Your deck is also an investment. Therefore, you want it to last and to retain it’s beauty for many years to come.
To make sure your Wahoo aluminum deck lasts, you simply need to only do two things:
- Regular safety inspections
- Keep It Clean
A low maintenance aluminum deck is built to last but that doesn’t mean there isn’t more you can do to keep your deck looking brand new all year long. These two simple deck ideas and tips will insure that you not only have a safe deck but a beautiful one!
Yet, even if you are not yet a Wahoo Decks aluminum deck owner, these same two tips apply.
Of course, there will likely be additional maintenance but these two points are a good place to start in maintaining your deck!
1. Check Your Deck
“Twice a year – usually in spring and fall – it’s a good idea to check on the structure and overall state of your deck” (5 Tips for Extending the Life of Your Outdoor Wooden Deck).
- Check for split or decaying wood.
- Keep an eye out for holes, which could mean insects have burrowed in and made a home.
- Check for a widened gap between the house and the ledger, which may signal that the bolts need tightening.
- Flashing around the ledger board prevents moisture from building up and causing rot. Look to see if it has pulled away from the house, and make sure caulk that seals overlapping pieces is intact. Inspect for mud or debris stuck between the spacer and the exterior wall, a sign the flashing’s been breached.
- Firmly grasp and wriggle railing to make sure they’re secure. Also double-check whether they meet local codes, which generally call for a railing at least 3 feet high with balusters spaced no wider than 4 inches apart.
- Look for loose connections between posts and the deck’s beams.
2. Keep Your Deck Clean
“Don’t let leaves, sticks, and so forth pile up on your deck.” (5 Tips for Extending the Life of Your Outdoor Wooden Deck).
- Be on the lookout for bees and wasps that may be building nests, and treat the area accordingly. Don’t have lights on all night around your deck, as this attracts bugs – if you want lighting on your deck at night, choose a variety that does not attract insects.
- Clean your aluminum deck regularly. This can be done with warm water and soap. The best method of cleaning your aluminum deck is by regular washing using a solution of warm water and non‐abrasive, pH neutral detergent. Your AridDek aluminum deck surface should be thoroughly rinsed after cleaning to remove all residues. AridDek should be cleaned using a soft cloth or sponge or a natural bristle brush.
By cleaning your aluminum deck regularly or as needed, you are protecting an investment and keeping your deck in excellent condition. Cleaning your AridDek watertight aluminum deck will only prolong the longevity of an already long lasting deck!
About Wahoo Decks
Headquartered in Dahlonega, Georgia, Wahoo Decks is a leading manufacturer of award-winning outdoor products. Wahoo products have been engineered to be uniquely low maintenance and more resistant to natural elements than traditional decking products. Wahoo Decks offers AridDek, a waterproof aluminum decking product and Fortis, a non-watertight aluminum deck board. Additionally, Wahoo Decks, offers DryJoist and DryJoistEZ, a revolutionary waterproof and structural aluminum joist system, Wahoo Rail, a complete line of aluminum railing kits, and Wahoo Complete, an all-in-one pre-fabricated aluminum balcony product. For more information about Wahoo Decks, visit http://www.WahooDecks.com.