When you want to build a deck, there are several things to consider…Build A Deck 101: It surprises many people to find out that one of the most important steps in building a deck is getting a permit to actually build the deck. Which begs the question: When you want to build a deck, why is a permit important, and how does someone obtain a building permit?
Why is a permit necessary for deck building?
- Getting a permit for building a deck makes sure that the deck is built up to code standards and that the deck is in abidance with local regulations.
- Building a deck without a permit can result in heavy fines and contractors can even lose their licenses.
How to obtain a deck permit:
- Find out where to obtain building permits in your area. Most likely you will need to go through the municipal building department. The location of Building Inspections Departments depends mostly on the city you live in.
- Your plans will need to be in compliance with The IRC or IBC
- IRC Requirements for a single-family residential home
- IBC Requirements for multifamily or commercial
- Submit a completed application. It is important to include a site plan showing your future deck layout and design in relation to the house, property lines, etc.
- Submitting Deck Plans for Permits
More Important Deck Permit Tips:
- Remember when applying for a permit to build a deck, to apply in advance of your scheduled construction start date. This is to avoid any project delay if you end up needing to submit additional information.
- You will need to be ready to pay permit fees. “Some permit fees for decks are based on the value of the project, others are based on the size of the deck, and yet others are set fee . . . You can call your building inspections division to find out how they charge for deck permit fees” (Plan Review Fees).
By following the guidelines set in place you will know that you have a safe deck that is up to all the codes. It will also only benefit you in the long run if you ever decide to sell your house.
Wahoo Decks can help you decide what aluminum deck product will be best to use on your deck. Wahoo Decks offers aluminum decking that can be used for decks in all shapes and sizes and Wahoo Decks can help you in the design process. Choose from AridDek, a waterproof aluminum decking board, and DryJoistEZ, a revolutionary waterproof and structural exterior aluminum joist, and add Wahoo Rail, a complete line of aluminum railing kits. For more information about Wahoo Decks, visit www.WahooDecks.com or call (877) 270-9387 and start planning for your dream deck today!