With all the excitement that surrounds the first weekend in May, stir up your own fun with a themed Kentucky Derby party on your deck! A fun tradition will ensue with friends and family, and on a Wahoo Deck the fun will keep coming for years! Enjoy these recipes and decor ideas!
Mint Julep Bar
As the traditional cocktail of the Kentucky Derby, no party is complete without this refreshing drink! Decorate the drink station with roses and garland, as you would the winning horse of the Derby!
Mint Julep Recipe:
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 2 ounces Bourbon whiskey
- 2 teaspoons of water
- 4 mint leaves
- In a highball glass gently muddle the mint, sugar, and water
- Fill the glass with cracked ice.
- Add bourbon and stir well until the glass is well frosted
- Add garnish of mint sprig
Decorating Your Deck - Derby Style
Feature the flower of the Kentucky Derby: red roses! Creating fun centerpieces full of red roses with a touch of equestrian flair is a great way to show your Derby style!
Check out Elva M. Design Studio for free printable signs and other decor ideas for your Derby party!
Finger Foods of the Kentucky Derby
Showcase some of the delicious foods offered at the derby on your deck! A longtime favorite of the Derby is the Classic Pimento Cheese, served with pork cracklings.
Classic Pimento Cheese Recipe:
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoon favorite hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely diced onion
- 12 ounce jar of diced pimiento
- 16 ounce shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the first 8 ingredients
- Fold in pimientos and cheddar cheese
- Cover and chill to 6 to 10 hours
- Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes and stir before serving
Placing bets on the horses is a fun way to get into the racing spirit! If it’s for money or just bragging rights, it’s all still in fun! Create your own betting slips, and give out miniature trophies to the winners!
You can even buy customized trophies to give out. We found these on Amazon!