FAQ: DryJoistEZ® Deck Drainage System
- Will the aluminum deck boards of the AridDek® Waterproof Deck System get hot during the summer?Yes, but they will be cooler than other materials. The thermal conductivity of AridDek’s aluminum deck boards dissipates heat, providing a cooler deck surface than most wood or composite surfaces.
- What colors can I choose for my AridDek Waterproof Deck System?AridDek Waterproof Deck System is available in three color options: Granite, Sandstone, and Artisan Clay.
- Is routine maintenance required to keep my aluminum deck looking new?No: one of the most important features of your new AridDek aluminum deck surface is that you won’t have to paint, stain, or refinish it in order to keep your deck looking new. We do recommend that you wash your deck surface periodically using mild soapy water and a soft bristle brush.
- Will my AridDek Waterproof Deck System ever rust?AridDek is extruded from an aluminum alloy (6005-T5 aluminum) that will not rust. However, as with other decking materials including wood, composite, or even concrete, steel products that come in contact with AridDek can rust and even stain your AridDek aluminum deck surface. Do not store metal objects that could rust and stain your deck on AridDek. Avoid metal working on AridDek, as well. When installing iron railings, protect AridDek with a non-plastic drop cloth to prevent grinding dust and weld splatter from settling on the surface of AridDek.
- Is the AridDek Waterproof Deck System slippery?No: AridDek aluminum decking is not slippery. AridDek has a powder-coated finish that provides steady footing in wet or dry conditions. Additionally, the ribbed surface provides additional traction and conceals the hidden fastener system for a gapless, skid-free surface.
- Is the AridDek Waterproof Deck System environmentally friendly?Yes: AridDek is manufactured from 45% recycled industrial and post-consumer aluminum scrap. As such, this product also assists builders in achieving points toward LEED credits based on the standards set forth by the LEED Green Building Rating System, within the categories of Recycled Content of Materials, Construction Waste Management and Stormwater Design. LEED Credits: MR Credit2.1, MR Credit 2.2, MR Credit 4.1, MR Credit 4.2, SS Credit 6.1
- Do I have to pitch the AridDek Waterproof Deck System?Yes: we suggest a minimum 1/8” pitch per linear foot. This is a minimum pitch that will not be visible to the naked eye but provides a generous slope for water to drain away from the structure.
- Do I need special tools to install the AridDek Waterproof Deck System?No: The AridDek Waterproof Deck System can be installed with a minimum number of readily available tools. No special tools are necessary.
- Can I cantilever AridDek? Is there a suggested overhang?The AridDek Waterproof Deck System is made up of interlocking deck boards that create the surface for your deck. And since it is a deck board, it cannot be cantilevered. A two-inch overhang beyond the fascia on the drainage side is suggested to shield deck joists from backsplash during heavy rain. Creating this small overhang also makes gutter installation easier.
- Are AridDek waterproof deck boards compliant with local and international building codes?Yes. AridDek meets or exceeds deck building code specifications and guidelines for aluminum structures, as recommended by AA ADM 1 and required by the International Building Code – 2015. Building Code Requirements – International Building Code – 2015.
- My deck frame was built using ACQ (Alkaline Copper Quaternary) pressure treated wood, is it compatible with AridDek aluminum decking boards?Yes: AridDek was designed to be compatible with ACQ treated lumber. It is produced with a special powder-coat paint barrier to prevent ACQ contact with the bare aluminum.
- Do I have to install gutters or downspouts?Gutters or downspout installation is optional. Some people choose to use gutters to prevent water run-off interference with landscape features.
- Does AridDek replace deck joists?No: Although AridDek does have a built-in drainage channel, it cannot be used to replace joists, rafters, or support beams.
- What type of blade should I use to cut AridDek?
- Carbide-tipped non-ferrous blade
- 12” blade-96 tooth
- 10” blade 80 tooth
- 7 ¼” blade 62 tooth
- What are joist spacing requirements when installing AridDek aluminum decking?The maximum allowable joist spacing is 24 inches on-center when installing the aluminum deck boards on pre-existing or new joist structures.
- How much does AridDek weigh?AridDek Aluminum Deck Boards weigh 1lb per linear foot or 2lbs per square foot. (Approximately ½ the weight of traditional wooden deck boards.)
Don’t see what you’re looking for?
Leave us a message and we’ll make sure you get the information that you need!
"*" indicates required fields